Hippopotamus Plural – ‘Hippopotamus’ or ‘Hippopotami’?
The hippopotamus plural is hippopotamuses. People sometimes say the plural of hippopotamus is hippopotami.
Technically, you can use hippopotamus or hippopotami to be accurate. This is not too comfortable for many people, since both of us feel a bit confusing.
The hippopotamus is probably the safest to take.
‘Hippopotamus’ or ‘hippopotami’?
Dictionaries list both plurals, and both variants appear regularly in writing as you will see today.
The word is originally from Greek where it means “river horse” and it came from Latin through English.
Hippopotamus is the best choice.
Hippopotamus appears in the correct Latin plural form and still in regular scientific writing, but words in English may spread their Latin plural and take more Anglicized -s or -es form, and hippopotamuses are often seen in books and newspapers.
Other Recommended Reading
- Pregnant Hippopotamus – How long is a Hippo Pregnant for?
- Hip Hop Hippopotamus – Flight of the Conchords Song with Lyrics
- Hiphopopotamus Vs Rhymenoceros – Song with Lyrics
- Hippopotamus Lifespan – What does a Hippo do to Survive?
- Hippopotamus Aggressive – How Aggressive are Hippos?
- Why is a Hippopotamus Found with a Mouth Open?
- Is a Skinny Hippopotamus Possible?
- Hippopotamus Herbivore – Is Hippopotamus Vegetarian?
- I Want Hippopotamus for Christmas – Song History and Lyrics
- Baby Hippo – What do you Call a Baby Hippo?
- Interesting Facts about Hippos – What is Unique about Hippos?
- Hippo Eats Baby Hippo – Is it a Myth or Reality?
- Why do Hippos Have Big Teeth?
- Is the hippopotamus Dangerous for Humans and Animals?
- Rhinoceros vs Hippopotamus – Can Rhinoceros and Hippopotamus Coexist?
- Hippopotamus Madagascar Movie – Hippo Name and Fame
- Hippo vs Crocodile – What Animal can Beat a Hippo?
- Hippo Food Chain – Does a Hippo have a Natural Predator?
- What do Hippos Sound Like?
- Are Hippos Omnivores? Do Hippo Eat Meat?