How to Get to Catalina Island?
How to get to Catalina island? Santa Catalina Island Co., originally owned by the Banning family and later by chewing-gum magnate William Wrigley Jr., was responsible for all phases of the island’s development as a resort and sport fishermen’s paradise.
In 1972 the Catalina Island Conservancy was established as a nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation of the island’s native flora and fauna and geographical features.
The conservancy now owns 88 percent of the island and maintains much of it in its present undeveloped state.
How to get to Catalina island?
The island can be reached by sea and air. Channel crossing time by sea ranges from 60 to 90 minutes, depending upon the point of departure and the transportation provider.
Service is provided by Catalina Express, (800) 613-1212, departing from three mainland locations:
San Pedro, Dana Point, and downtown Long Beach (along the waterfront next to the Aquarium of the Pacific). The Catalina Flyer, (949) 673-5245 or (800) 830-7744, departs from Newport Beach.
Island Express Helicopter Service, (800) 228-2566, offers 15-minute flights from Long Beach and San Pedro. It is necessary to make reservations well in advance, particularly during summer.
One of the leading resorts in the Los Angeles area, the island has fine beaches, tennis courts, hiking, camping, a golf course, and deep-sea and pier fishing.
It is, however, a fragile environment. Cars are restricted; bicycles and golf carts can be rented for use around Avalon.
Permits must be obtained from the Catalina Island Conservancy, (310) 510-2595, for bicycling and hiking in the interior. Only tour buses and cars with permit stickers are allowed outside the Avalon area.
In October the Catalina Island JazzTrax Festival is held at the Catalina Casino Ballroom.
Visitor Centers Catalina Island Chamber of Commerce & Visitors Bureau 1 Green Pier Avalon, CA 90704. Phone:(310)510-1520
Other Recommended Reading
- Grand Canyon National Park Weather – Time to Visit
- 20 Interesting Facts about Grand Canyon Nevada
- Grand Canyon Arizona – Great Natural Architecture
- Grand Canyon A to Z Information one Should Know
- Affordable Cabins in Grand Canyon National Park
- 30+ Grand Canyon Hotels with Better Reviews
- Grand Canyon South Rim – A to Z Travel Guide
- 39 Best Things to Do in Santa Barbara
- 20 Great Things to Do in Santa Cruz with Kids
- 14 Top Santa Cruz, CA Attractions Everyone Loves
- What are the Great Attractions of Mandalay Bay?
- A Complete List of Catalina Island hotels
- 9 Wonderful National Parks in California
- 14 Best Things to Do in Yosemite for Adventure
- 10 Awesome Things to Do in Napa Valley
- 13 Best Things to Do in South Lake Tahoe
- 11 Unique Things to Do in Palm Springs
- 31 Best Things to Do in Santa Cruz – A to Z Guide